Water Saving Tips help reduce water wastage by 20-40%
Over 70% of the planet is covered with water, of which only 3% is usable and consumable. Out of this 3 %, 900 Million Liters of water is being wasted everyday adding to the scarcity of water. Amidst us wasting the water and the planet facing water crisis, here are a few water saving tips.
Water Saving Tips for Households
- Keep the faucet turned off while you are brushing your teeth, shaving, washing your hands, doing dishes, and so on.
- Turning off the shower while applying soap or shampoo.
- While you are waiting for hot water, use a bucket or bowl to catch the cold water. This can be used to water the plants or refill the flushing tank or for other cleaning places.
- Check for leaky faucets & plumbing. This usually helps save approximately 15% of your indoor water consumption.
- Add some ink to your flush tanks and check if the toilet bowl is colored even when you have not flushed. If there is ink in the bowl, call a plumber to fix the leaky flushing system.
- Install and use a dual flushing systems. Compared to conventional systems, these help save 30% water.
- Install a garbage can inside bathrooms and powder rooms instead of disposing the trash into the toilet bowl.
- Re-use grey water produced for watering plants or cleaning homes or cars or toilet flushing. (Grey water: Wastewater generated in households or office buildings i.e. all streams except for the wastewater from toilets)
- Using Dishwashers and Washing Machines at full loads and optimum settings helps not waste water.
- Faucets and Shower heads can fitted with low flow aerators. This adjustment impacts approximately 70% of household water use.
Water Saving Tips for Hotels & Restaurants
- Most restaurants and hotels throw away half drank glasses of water in the waste water line without reusing them. In such scenarios, you can start saving 50% of drinking water by serving half a glass of water.
- Wash your fruits and vegetables in a pan of water instead of running water from the tap.
- While rinsing fruit and vegetables, collect the water you use and reuse it to water house plants.
- Reuse leftover water from cooked or steamed foods to start a nutritious soup, it’s one more way to get eight glasses of water a day.
- When washing dishes by hand, don’t let the water run. Fill one basin with wash water and the other with rinse water.
- Commercial refrigerators and ice-makers are cooled with water. Upgrade to air-cooled appliances for significant water savings.
Some General Water Saving Tips
- If your shower fills a small bucket in less than 20 seconds, replace the shower head with a newer & efficient model.water your grass at the same time.
- Use a commercial car wash that recycles water.
- Insulate hot water pipes for more immediate hot water and energy savings.
- Avoid distribution of packaged water in events or festivals. Over 50% of this packaged water is wasted.